First of all, season’s greetings to all of you! December has been a hectic (but fun) month, and I’ve had no time or inspiration to update this blog. Anyway. Here’s that mandatory end-of-year blog post. I’ve never quite done something like this before, but I couldn’t have picked a better year to do this for.
2016 has been the best of the 19 years of my life (I realise I can’t really account for the first four-ish years, but anyway). I know it’s been a rather horrible year globally and everyone’s talking about how much they’ve hated this year.
But, for me, 2016 was unlike any other year. It’s simultaneously been a long and short one – complete with many firsts, and quite a few worsts. I cried half as much as I laughed, which is A LOT: my year was not fantastic for all 366 days. I did, however, manage to learn so much from this year, not just from the events happening in my life and around me, but from all of the people I’ve been around, too.
Here are some of the highlights of the wonderful first-time things that happened to me this year:
- Finding someone I want to keep around for the rest of my life. You’re marvellous, thank you for existing.
- Going to a Coldplay concert
- Getting a job.
- Attending my first-ever play – It wasn’t a very grand play or anything, but I’m happy I finally did.
- Visiting Himachal Pradesh. This trip on its own was filled with firsts – living away from home without family, meeting new people, first legit trek.
- Being head of a local event. This is a big deal because it involved lots of interaction and communication with fellow human beings.
- Attempting a stray, (seemingly) lost kitty find help. [Never mind that the kitty eventually ran away from the help, at least I tried]. Thanks to Alaric for being best buddy to help with this.
- Saying goodbye to a TV show that had become such a dear part of my life.
- Making a short film for the first time (Watch it here!)
Too many worsts happened, but I’d rather not get into those. They aren’t memories I’d want to carry into 2017.
2017 is a brand new year, and although I do not necessarily split these development stages of my life into this man-made invention of time, I’m still excited and nervous about what is to come. I (supposedly) graduate and will have to make crucial life decisions, which is all rather scary to think about because it’s such a big deal and everything, but I’m also excited to see where this year takes me and what I can make of this brand new year that I’m being gifted with.
I’ve been doing an appreciation series on Instagram, thanking all the people who helped make my 2016, but I realise it can’t ever be enough. 2016 was so packed with experiences, I can’t be grateful enough for all of the tremendous things that happened. I’m so grateful to God for bringing me to this point today, where I’m content (or at least still learning to be) with my current situation. I’m so grateful to all of you readers, too, for regularly (more or less) coming back to read these posts – my little attempts at capturing moments in my life and expressing my feelings through a medium most satisfying to me. This means more to me than you will ever comprehend.
Here’s to burying 2016 and welcoming 2017 with arms wide open!